It’s been an awesome to see Jarred grow and progress since we started sponsoring him back 2014 at the age of 14. From humble beginnings in the Climb-fit St Leonards kids club he has gone on to represent Australia on multiple occasions and we’re barracking for him to make it to the Australian Olympic Team! Outside he holds his own ticking climbs like “Strangers on the Shore, 33” at Nowra. There’s a lot of growing and life left in this guy so keep an eye out for him!
1. How old were you when you started climbing, and how did you get started?
I started climbing when I was 14 at the kids club at Climb-fit in St Leonards. Since then I’ve climbed for 3 other gyms including Villawood, Bloc Climbing Centre and now The Edge at Castle Hill where I also work and help with the Youth Climbing Team.
2. List some of your proudest achievements.
Ticking Strangers on the Shore, 33, Rosies Nowra. 2011 Boulder Nationals Champion. Australian Youth Team 2012, 2013, 2014
3. Short and long term climbing goals.
Short Term: Make the Australian Olympic Climbing Team
Long Term: Tick a 35 and V12
4. What climb is your biggest nemesis?
The “speed wall”! haha
5. In three words, describe your ideal climb.
Crimp, Dyno, Overhang
6. If you could pick any climber in the world to go on a road trip with, who would it be?
Sasha Digiulian, I don’t think I need to give a reason for that one…
7. If you could pick anywhere in the world as your next climbing trip, where would it be?
Spain or anywhere else in Europe!
8. What do you consider to be a good day climbing?
With friends when it’s nice cool weather and plenty of subway cookies
9. What has been your favourite climbing day or the most remarkable/funny thing to happen to you on a climb?
One of my favourite trips climbing was at Squamish near Vancouver in Canada right after the world youth Championships on Victoria Island.
My Dad and I camped in a van for five days bouldering in the morning and sport climbing in the afternoon until dark and walked out under head torches every day and only showered once before we flew out.
10. How many brand stickers do you have on your favourite water bottle/how many hang boards do you have at your home?
I have 8 hang boards at home with one on the doorway so I can hang in front of the TV. Brand stickers are on my competition clipboard and there are 13
11. Have you made your own backyard climbing wall?
Not yet. One day. But we have a made a training station in the garage where 5 of the hang boards live as well as pull up bars and rock rings.