I've used the Icicle Jacket for climbing (as a belay jacket), snow camping, mountaineering, downhill skiing, working as a ski lift operator standing around in -20 degree weather...
- Super warm down jacket
- Box wall baffles cut wind out and keep warmth in like nothing else
- Removable hood, oversized collar covers mouth and nose in nasty weather
- Big elasticised pockets
- Waterproof fabric great for snow when skiing or climbing
- Everyone wants to hug you. This could be a "Con" depending on your personality.
- Not seam sealed so not fully waterproof; not really a con just something to be aware of with most down jackets
- Not the cheapest jacket on the wall, but also not a con as the cost is far and away worth it! Although when you compare it to other box walled down jackets with hardshell fabric and similar loft and fill, it's actually quite well priced.
This jacket is pretty much perfect. It's super warm, but somehow breathes well so I've never gotten sweaty in it. The high front collar is incredible in really cold and windy conditions, as the hood and muff can cover your whole face if you are also wearing goggles. The hood also zips off so when you're just sitting around the campfire at the end of a day's climbing you don't need to go full marshmallow. I wouldn't buy another down jacket.
Snug as a bug in an Icicle...