It’s really quite hard to find anything wrong with this harness. For the price this was really an easy choice when looking for a sport harness. First off the bat is the harness’s weight at 370g for the medium sizing, which is light enough to be barley felt when strapped on but not too light to compromise the comfort of the padded leg loops and waist strap. Sometimes there can be a trade-off between making a product lighter and seeing the effect on the durability of the materials but in the case of the Petzl Sama that isn’t at all something I had to consider. The previous Sama model I have used extensively for five years now and to be honest there was no reason for my choice of upgrade other than that age old want for something a little shinier and the fact that nylon products do start to lose some strength after about that time.
Jumping into the harness you immediately feel the padded support of the leg loops and the way the harness evenly distributes your weight via a generously wide waist strap. The non-adjustable leg loops aren’t restrictive in anyway and the gear loops are angled so as your gear falls conveniently towards the front of the harness. The bright colour also lends itself to increased visibility either inside your pack or on the wall when climbing. The improved design on the double-back buckle really makes adjusting the waist strap super smooth and fast; a small feature but one that you notice if you are getting in and out of the harness on a regular basis.
This is definitely a great option for an all-round sport or trad climbing harness, comfy enough for big days multi-pitching and light enough for pushing your grades on hard single pitch routes.
- ENDOFRAME Technology construction guarantees excellent weight distribution for optimal comfort: - waist belt and leg loops with doubled straps
- Waist belt wider on the sides
- No compression points or chafing zones on the waist belt because there are no crossing seams
- DoubleBack Light buckle allows quick and easy adjustment of the waistbelt
- Tie-in points: - high-tenacity polyethylene for improved resistance to rope friction
- Red wear indicator on lower bridge to easily identify when the harness should be retired
- Fitted elastic leg loops give complete freedom of movement
- Four equipment loops: - two rigid ones in front for quick and easy access to equipment and two flexible ones in the rear to avoid creating pressure points with a backpack
- Two slots for CARITOOL tool holder
- Rear loop for haul rope
- Detachable leg loop elastics
- The only con would be if the ratio of leg size to waist didn't work for your body type
Like well behaved students in a class room, a good harness should be seen and not heard. It should quietly go about its day doing good work without being noticed. You shouldn’t notice it restricting you when you go for a high step. You shouldn’t notice it digging in when you’re swinging around on that hanging belay. It should be able to achieve what it has to without causing a scene. This is the way I feel about the Sama – once it goes on, it stays on all day and I don’t really notice it unless I’m tying in or it catches me after some sweet air time.
Angus "the Gus man" Taylor enjoys a good coffee or three, a good boulder, sport climb, trad crack or a big bongo drum music jamboree.